Continue the Walking Tour of Five Points South
Highland Methodist Church,
1045,20th Street South,
Built in 1908 and architected by P. Thornton Marye.
A singular Birmingham church designed by the Atlanta architect who also designed Birmingham Terminal station built in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and distinguished by its flamboyant decoration in stone and architectural terra cotta and by its accompanying bell tower, all beneath a clay tile roof. The tower was finished in 1921 under the supervision of architect Bem Price, who also designed the 1924 educational building on the 21st Street corner. The church's presence on the circle has been described as one of " riotous vigor", enhanced now by the addition of the fountain designed by Frank Fleming that occupies a portion of its front court.