The Spanish Stores
1101-05 20th Street South and 2001-11 11th Avenue South,
Continue the Walking Tour of Five Points South
Built in the year 1926 with 1930 addition, theSpanish Stores was first commercial development on the circle by the Munger family interests. This was designed in the Spanish Revival style so popular in the mid-1920s and represented in many Birmingham residential suburbs, particularly Hollywood. Stuccoes with stone accents and a clay tile roof, this row also features a first example of a set back for parking Distinguished with two storey tower and a gabled pavilion at the corner, the stores were so trend setting that they were featured in the 1929 Southern Architect and Building News. A 1930 addition extended the 11th Avenue wing to accommodate a tea room, space now part of the Highlands Bar and Grill and Chez FonFon.