Birmingham Lights Birmingham Southside District A Walking Tour of Five Points South

A Walking Tour of Five Points South

Previously:  Walking Tour of  Five Points South

Lasalle Apartments, 2020 11th Avenue South , 1926, Gallup @Joy. This nine storey apartment building joined the earlier Dulion as a stylish accomodation to a housing shortage and a booming economy. Designed in a French Renaissance Revival style, the red brick building has a scored stucco facing on its lower and top storeys and terra cotta medallions above the arched entries. The architect is S. Scott Joy, designer of many Birmingham houses noted for their Prairies Style characteristics: by 1926 he had moved his practice to Chicago.


Dulion Apartments, 2030 11th Avenue South, 1920 Brooke B.Burnham. With one storey fewer than the later Lasalle, the rising grade of 11th Avenue South makes the two buildings appear to be the same height and they also have a continuous street cornice line. The Dulion is more Classically influenced in decorative detail a limestone carnice , sills and lower level facing.This was the first of the "skyscraper" commercial  apartments in the area that were built during the 1920s; both it and the later lasalle have inviting storefronts along the 11th Avenue sidewalk.


First Church of Christ, Scientist, 2031 11th Avenue South, 1911, Joseph C Turner. A solitary neighborhood example( and rare in the city) of Jeffersonian Classical Revival architecture, this was the home of of the first Christian Science congregation in Alabama, founded in 1899. Stuccoed with an Ionic portico, the building has in recent decades been remodeled inside for architects and design firms.


Shepherd-Sloss building, 20th Street South and Highland Avenue, 1928, Charles H. McCauley. Off the circle but visually very present in Five Points , this building is one of Birmingham's two best examples of Italian Revival architecture( the other is the Florentine building downtown) this one called 'venetian" and featuring a smooth cream colored terra cotta face with deep transformed store fronts under a clay tile roof , a blind arcade at the parapet and pier finials. Elaborate on the exterior, the building originally housed traditional commercial businesses such as a drug store, a meat market and beauty parlor, and also an exclusive dress shop named Patricia's. A large Buffalo Rock sign; these were taken down in 2004 during repair of the roof and have not re appeared, much to the sorrow of the local residents.

Continue the Walking Tour of Five Points South