Continue the Walking Tour of Five Points South
1035 20th Street South
Year Built: 1930
The last built of the Art Deco buildings on the circle, this one also relating to the corner as its pier-defined bays angle around and featuring stylized decorative sunbursts below the parapet line. It replaced an earlier frame building of 1893, so it represents the earliest commercial site on the circle. Originally housing a popular drug store with flanking smaller businesses including the Oriental Cafe, the building was completely remodeled inside as part of the mid -1980s development of Pickwick Place and has since been home to restaurants. The eponymous Pickwick Club was its immediate neighbor to the east on Magnolia Avenue, a site now occupied by the parking deck.